Wednesday, May 4, 2016

I belong to Temple Sinai in Washington DC. Sinai is a reform congregation, but all-accepting. It provides various programs, opportunities, jobs, and classes to youth and adults alike, and is very involved with Israel. There is always a seminar or conference of some sort going on in the social hall, and the two prayer spaces offer different types of services every week.

There is also a religious Sunday school, which I have the pleasure of working at. I have taught 2nd and 3rd graders for the past 3 years every Sunday, working as a teacher's assistant and lesson planner, and I have come to love my job. Throughout the day we learn about morals of the Torah, go to music class, do a group activity pertaining to the day's Torah story, say the blessings for challah and grape juice, and have a discussion or read a story at the end. This is how I stay connected and give back to my Jewish community. I opted out of our temple's youth group after one year, and did not connect to any program until religious school was recommended to me. I had done it as a child, and it was time to reverse the roles and teach, but along the way I have learned more than I could have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment